OSX Virtualization, Hackintosh, 4 phases of assimilation into the Apple Computer Cult
Phase 1: The Resistance – Below are my attempts to run OSX without owning Apple Hardware.
OSX can be virtualized — it just runs like ass on my old Thinkpad.
In 2012, using some recycled parts, I was able to build a high end Hackintosh (specwise, obviously) for $800.
Phase 2: Coercion – If you do any kind of iOS development, you will eventually convert to a Mac (likely with kicking, cursing, and screaming).
Once you get over the:
- New workflow (“forced to use it for work”)
- OSX UI elements are completely opposite of Windows
- Many options like “Viewing hidden files in Finder” require a terminal intervention.
- Paying double or triple what you’d normally pay for a comparable PC
Phase 3: Adoption
**gasp** You might actually start liking Apple computers and wondering why it took so long to convert.**gasp**
Phase 4: Acceptance
Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated into the Apple Cult – really, because all Operating Systems are crap and OSX is just slightly less crappier than Windows 😛
Logitech Revue GoogleTV Software Root “NandPwn”
The Logitech Revue is a big steaming pile of crap.
UART root was not an option as this device had been updated and not in “out of factory” state. All this so I could try to install XBMC on the unit… and learned the differences between Android NDK and SDK implementation 🙂
More Info: Software Root Now Available For Logitech Revue, But It’s Not For The Faint Of Heart
Driving in Japan
Quick! Someone sponsor me so I can do this!
Resources for Learning Japanese & Living in Tokyo
1) First: Learn Hiragana & Katakana
- Android App: Hiragana – Learn Japanese
- Android App: Katakana – Learn Japanese
2) Kanji Damage: Personal Favorite for learning Kanji
3) Tae Kim’s Guide to Learning Japanese
4) Japanese Pod 101: Listened to Podcasts during my commute
5) Textbooks from the Situational Functional Japanese Series:
- Surviving In Japan – Super useful tips for getting around Japan with very little Japanese.
- Tokyo Cheapo – Things to do in Tokyo – On the cheap.
- Timeout Tokyo – Tokyo’s best restaurants, films, gigs, clubs, things to do and places to see – Written by local experts.
- Tokyo Damage Tour Guide: Looking for a Tokyo travel guide (of crazy shit)? Check out this list:
Bluetooth OBDII Reader for Less than $10
Samsung SCH-i605 (Note 2)
Running CyanogenMod 12 Nightlies (Android Android 4.4.4)
Piston App (Android)